We have all heard of reading books from all over the world. (Sidenote: Check out this 13 year old girl’s Facebook page that will motivate you to read always: https://www.facebook.com/reading197countries/)
But how many of us have read books from all parts of India?
I have definitely not read from all the states. But plan to.
So here is the challenge, before taking the big leap of reading novels from all the countries in the world, lets read books from all 29 states and 7 union territories of India!
Please share recommendations of the different books from different states that you read. They could be in any language; they could be of any genre be it children’s novel or romance or horror or political or plays or poems; they could be translations as well.
The criteria is that the authors are from a particular place or the book is set in that place.
So here is a list of the books of the different states that I have read:
- The Black Hill by Mamang Dai.
- Swarnlata by Tilottoma Misra. Read my review here.
- Delhi is Not Far by Ruskin Bond (It is not exactly set in Delhi but the idea of Delhi pervades the whole book!)
- A Girl Like Me by Swati Kaushal (Set in Gurgaon. It is up to the reader to decide the question of what qualifies as a Delhi novel!)
- Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup. Read the review here!
- Music in Solitude by Krishna Sobti. Read my review here.
- Reflected in Water: Writings On Goa– edited by Jerry Pinto.
- 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan Bhagat.
- First There was Woman: Folk Tales of Dungri Garasiya Bhils retold by Marija Sres. Read my review here!
Jammu & Kashmir:
- I, Lalla: The Poems of Lal Ded.
- The Country Without a Post Office by Agha Shahid Ali.
- Samskara by U.R. Ananthamurthy (Set in Durvasapura!)
- Bara by U.R. Ananthamurthy. Catch my review here.
- Tiger Hills by Sarita Mandanna (Set in Coorg!) Read my review here!
- Boiled Beans on Toast: A Play by Girish Karnad (Set in Bangalore!)
- Half Pants, Full Pants by Anand Suspi (Set in Shimoga!)
Check the FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/halfpantsfullpants/
- Keep Off the Grass by Karan Bajaj (Set in Bangalore!)
- Chemmeen by Thakazhi Pillai.
- Mango Cheeks, Metal Teeth by Aruna Nambiar.
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy.
- Ghashiram Kotwal by Vijay Tendulkar.
- Cobalt Blue by Sachin Kundalkar, translated by Jerry Pinto.
- Em and the Big Hoom by Jerry Pinto.
- Ravan and Eddie by Kiran Nagarkar (I plan to read its sequel soon!): Read my review here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2013/06/21/romping-through-chawls/
- The Last Song of Dusk by Siddhant Dhanvant Shanghvi.
Read my review here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/the-last-song-of-dusk/
- Sacred Games and Love and Longing in Bombay by Vikram Chandra.
Read my review of Sacred Games here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-games-people-play/
- Window Seat by Janhavi Acharekar.
Read my review of this book here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/glimpsing-mumbai/
- Such a Long Journey and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry.
Read the review of Such a Long Journey here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/journeying-through-noble-bombay/
- Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie (Well, this moves throughout India but starts in Bombay!)
- Dahanu Road by Anosh Irani.
- The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh (Well, it starts in Burma but ends in Ratnagiri, a region in Maharashtra!)
Read the review here.
- Jejuri by Arun Kolatkar. Here is my review
- The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar.
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
- The Maharajah’s Household by Binodini. Read my review here!
- Lunatic in my Head by Anjum Hassan (Set in Shillong!). Read my review here.
- Boats on Land by Janice Pariat (Set in Shillong!). Read my review here!
- Bitter Wormwood by Easterine Kire.
- Laburnum for my Head by Temsula Ao (Not sure I can specifically classify this here, but oh well, we are all slaves to constructed categories!)
- Daura by Anukriti Upadhyay
- Difficult Daughters by Manju Kapur (This also flows between Amritsar and Lahore!)
- Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai. Read my review of the book: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/of-holy-men-and-monkeys/
- The Patiala Quartet by Neel Kamal Puri. Read the review here.
- A Handful of Rice by Kamala Markandaya (Set in Madras!)
- The Hussaini Alam House by Huma R. Kidwai (Set in Hyderabad)!
- Most Ruskin Bond books!
Read all of my Bond books’ reviews here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/tag/ruskin-bond/
- Raag Darbari by Shrilal Shukla (Set in a fictional town of Shivpalganj!)
Read my review: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/politics-and-satire/
- Umrao Jaan Ada by Ruswa.
(Watched the Bollywood classic? Now go read the book!)
- Sunlight on a Broken Column by Attia Hosain (Set in Lucknow). Interested? Here’s my review!
- Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand. Read the review here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/untouchable-left-me-touched-2/
- Complete Adventures of Feluda: Volume 1 by Satyajit Ray.
Buy it here: https://www.amazon.in/Complete-Adventures-Feluda-Vol-1/dp/0143032771
Read my review: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/sleuthing-around/
- Krishnakant’s Will by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee.
- Rudali and Drapuadi by Mahasweta Devi.
- Kabuliwalla and The Wife’s Letter by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh.
- The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai (Set in Kalimpong!)
- The Blue Bedspread by Raj Kamal Jha. Check out my review!
- Namesake and Lowland by Jhumpa Lahiri. (Read the reviews here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/immigration-anyone/)
States that are missing: Odisha, Mizoram, Tripura, Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Sikkim, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and the union territories except Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir!
Have you read any books from the above places? Comment below!
I am going to leave you with these last books that resist any categorization! These are some books and reviews of those books set in fictional towns or move across different places in India:
- The Ibis Trilogy by Amitav Ghosh. Read the reviews of its first two books here: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/tag/ibis/
- The White Tiger by Arvind Adiga.
- Train to Pakistan by Khuswant Singh.
- Malgudi Days and Guide by R.K. Narayan.
- Love Across the Salt Desert by Keki N. Daruwalla: https://bookreviewsgalore.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/love-across-the-salt-desert/
More Links! Links Galore!
- Another reading from all the states in India:
- Take a look at this link for some more regional reads:
- Here is another good list if you want to start on Hindi Literature:
As you can see I have barely covered half of the states in India! Comment about more books if you have read them or recommend others from different parts and share the post! Hopefully, we will read more books from across India! I have in mind some Goa books that are on my to-read list!